Is it Time to Retire?
January 28th, 2016
For most lawyers, the decision when to retire is rarely black and white. Instead, the choice comes with lots of gray (that goes along with your gray hair!).
To help you find the right time, think about these questions:
- Do you still have the fire in your belly? Are you still excited about going into the office, or do you dread the thought?
- Have you been on the receiving end of subtle or not-so-subtle suggestions from family, friends or colleagues that perhaps it’s time to slow down?
- How do you feel physically? Is your mental edge still there? How often do you have “senior moments?”
- How healthy are your parents? Will you need to help them through their own sunset years?
- How is your spouse’s or significant other’s health? What are his or her retirement plans? Do you laugh or cringe when you hear the oft-told retirement joke, “For better or for worse, but not for lunch.”
- Have you reached your “number” so you can afford to retire?
- Do you have any idea what you are going to do when you retire? (Don't count on being content with just playing golf and sampling new local restaurants and movies.)
- What’s on your bucket list? Do you have enough time, money and the requisite health so you can start to check things off?
Get Out Your Crystal Ball
But always remember the Yiddish expression, “Mann traoch; Gott lauch.” This translates into, "Man plans; God laughs." So go ahead and plan, but also plan to be flexible.
Enjoy your retirement!
Categories: Attorney Retirement